Everybody has their favorite Thanksgiving dinner side dish, but let's face it a Thanksgiving feast is really about two things: the stuffing and the pie. Today we're excited to talk about this vegan version of Bobby Flay's famous Wild Mushroom-Bacon Sourdough Stuffing. Imagine... a savory breaded top, loaded with three types of mushrooms, seasoned with fresh herbs, and full of buttery goodness. You bet it'll fill up the whole house with warmth and happiness!
Plus, it's so easy to make, anyone can pull this together - even if it's your first time chopping onions. Just a few simple ingredients and you'll have a new go-to recipe that everyone will love (you got this 👏)!
*This recipe was modified from Bobby Flay's Wild Mushroom-Bacon Sourdough Dressing from the Food Network.
1 1/4 lbs Young Kobras Gluten Free sourdough bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
1/2 lbs shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1/2 lbs oyster mushrooms, chopped
1/2 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup organic olive oil
1 pinch of Kosher salt and ground black pepper
3/4 lbs All Vegetarian Inc. Vegan Bacon Slices, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large Spanish onion or yellow onion, finely diced
5 cloves garlic, chopped
3-5 cups Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base Broth or Pacific Organic Mushroom Broth
2 tbsp fresh sage, chopped
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
4oz Just Egg
Melt Organic Butter Sticks, for the baking dish (unsalted butter, optional)
1 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish or casserole dish
*Tip: Dry out the sourdough bread the night before so that it's cook up nice and crispy the next day!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the bread cubes in an even layer on a large baking sheet and bake, until light golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let the bread cool before transferring to a large bowl.
- Increase the oven to 375 degrees F. Combine the mushrooms on a baking sheet, toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven, until soft and golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the vegan bacon and cook, about 10 minutes.
- Add more olive oil to the pan. Cook the onion until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add 3 cups vegan chicken stock and the herbs, season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Add the mushrooms to the bowl with the bread, then add the stock mixture, bacon, and eggs; season with salt and pepper. Gently stir until combined.
- Butter the baking dish. Add the stuffing and cover with foil (add more vegan stock if the mixture is not moist enough). Bake 20 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until golden brown, about 30 to 40 more minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
If you make this, make sure to post on your social media and tag @mylkguys! We'd love to see what you think!
Shop the plant-based foods in this recipe at Mylk Guys!
Mylk Guys is an all-vegan online grocery store on a mission to make it easy to eat plant-based. We carry over 1,000 vegan products and deliver nationwide with 2-day shipping. Find classic vegan foods or discover new favorites here!